FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE City of Santa Ana Takes Steps to Become Sanctuary City Before Trump Takes Office The city of Santa Ana will vote on a resolution that outlines the necessary steps it needs to take to defend its immigrant community WHAT: More people were deported under the Obama Administration than any other president in U.S. history. Now with the election of Donald Trump, deportations, immigration enforcement and detention will intensify and we are already experiencing the anxiety and fear our communities are going through as January approaches. As the City of Santa Ana positions itself to protect its immigrant community, we urge the City Council to go beyond symbolic statements, and accept the demands from the community:
- Protect the information of every resident;
- Convert the sanctuary resolution into local law through an ordinance before January 20th, 2017;
- Guarantee the establishment of a Task Force to serve as an accountability mechanism and policy body to advise the city on issues of immigration enforcement and deportations in Santa Ana. This task force will be created immediately after passage of resolution;
- Create an immediate timeline to cancel the ICE contract;
- Protect and take action if any federal funding is threatened as a result of passage of the sanctuary resolution.